Nutrition Society of South Africa (NSSA)
The NSSA is a scientific organisation. Membership to NSSA is open to any suitable qualified person whose work may contribute to scientific knowledge of nutrition or to its application to the promotion of human health. The mission of the NSSA is “to provide leadership and mentorship, based on appropriate research, in policy formulation, education and training, and practice of nutrition through advocacy and dissemination of information
The role of NSSA will be to contribute to:
- In-depth analysis of existing training landscape, needs and curriculum setting for nutritionists and other relevant healthcare professionals in South Africa, which includes in-depth analysis of the South African Healthcare Sector, the daily practice settings, the state of knowledge and the existing gaps in nutritionists practicing in healthcare facilities and community settings.
- Identification of stakeholders and key actors, direct communication and needs assessment of end users ((pre)pregnant women, lactating mothers, young families).
- Training programme design and development, and review of curriculum content on diet and micronutrients for the First 1000 days and counselling.
- Identification of potential participants for piloting of the developed training programme.
- Development of a sustainable business model.
- Incorporation of developed training programme into existing qualification and continuous education programmes for nutritionists and other relevant healthcare professionals in South Africa.
- Dissemination to target groups, and especially to end users ((pre)pregnant women, lactating mothers, young families).
Prof. Muhammad Ali Dhansay
Phone: +27 82 568 4440
Prof. Corinna May Walsh
Phone: +27 83 297 6030
Phone: +27 72 218 2184